Monday, May 22, 2006

Sin Episodes delivers

I just finished playing Sin Episodes: Emergence, the first in a series of episodic content from Ritual. The idea behind episodic content is that instead of paying fifty bucks all at once for a whole game, you pay a lesser fee ($20 in this case) for the first episode. Then other episodes come out later on.

I found this game highly reminiscent of Half Life 2, as I'm sure everyone else did too. Except instead of uniformed goons, you have - well - different uniformed goons. Instead of a post-alien invasion world controlled by a big corporation, you have a futuristic drug-ridden world controlled by a big corporation. They pretty much look identical. But in Sin, the head of the corporation is much, much sluttier. In fact, aside from Elexis Sinclair's obvious assets (including a bikini shot in an early dream sequence!) I'd be hard pressed to find any differences between the two games, really, in the gameplay department. I think HL2's environment was more creative, but give Sin time. Even the loading screens are identical due to the same engine being used. They could have come up with a different "loading..." graphic, couldn't they? There were no vehicles, but I'll be looking for them in upcoming episodes for sure.

But - I have to say, I had FUN. Other then it being like HL2, I had no problems with the game. I had a great time blowing through the levels in 5-6 hours flat. I hadn't concentrated on finishing a game that much since HL2. So I guess the gameplay is solid, because it kept me playing until the end. There is something to be said for that. I'll be getting the next episode at least, to see where it goes.

And I want to mention I thought that the menu screen's music was excellent. I think this is the best "menu music" I've ever heard.

I think I like this idea of episodic content. I don't have much time to play these days, so a 6 hour game is perfect. I can blow through it and be done quickly so I don't spend too many hours up late, being tired the next day, you know how the story goes.

I would hesitate though, to compare Sin Episodes to a TV show. It has episodes, but not enough storytelling elements. The first installment of this game felt like an episode of a Sin game. What I mean is - there was no meeting the characters, learning a bit about them, setting up side story arcs, etc. They are not creating a good story here. You just know that Blade and Jessica are cops, chasing after the bad guys. If I'm going to have episodic content, how about some story? A side story about Blade and Jessica dating perhaps. Or some other characters with a different perspective on the events in the game. I suppose I shouldn't complain - Sin was never big on story, and I had a blast with that game too.

Was it worth $20? I think so. Maybe. I mean, if they produce 8 episodes - I'll be forking over $160 altogether. Is that worth it? If they are spread out enough, possibly. But I'd be much more comfortable paying $14.99 or $9.99 per episode.

44 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OzxgL3 The best blog you have!

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LaQxfc Hello all!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WZh9IL write more, thanks.

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rLP8yb write more, thanks.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

2:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job!

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Magnific!

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello all!

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is a free gift ? Aren't all gifts free?

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beam me aboard, Scotty..... Sure. Will a 2x10 do?

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Energizer Bunny Arrested! Charged with battery.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Build a watch in 179 easy steps - by C. Forsberg.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home